When a venomous snake bites a farmer in China, he chopped his finger thinking that is the only solution for life save before going to the nearest hospital. According to the doctor who treated that farmer once he arrived, he did not have concerned with the chop. As per the report of South China, it was pit viper snake locally known in Shangyu district of the Zhejiang area as the five-steps snake. The local people have a myth that once the snake bites, one can only walk just five-steps before spreading the effects of the venom. Therefore, to prevent the spreading of venom into the body, the 60-year-old farmer acted swiftly and self-severing the site of snake bite.
He chops his finger and then wrapped the wound with cloth and traveled 80 km to a hospital in Hangzhou for the treatment. The doctor from the same hospital of Chinese Medicine reportedly answers the media that various patient Zhang seems fine. He does not show any symptoms such as headache, bleeding from gums or breathing problems that could be expected to be serious from a snake bite. However, the doctor also added that his self-amputation was good attempt, a little bit of overkill. But it was not necessary to cut off his finger, and the five-step snake was not that venomous.
The known five-step snake may not be very venomous, but that does not mean it is not dangerous. This type of pit viper snake is highly found in Southern China, Northern Vietnam, Taiwan, and Hainan. This snake toxic is a powerful hemotoxic that pauses blood cells and causes bleeding. So, it is not unreasonable to fear of bite. Also, the farmer told the media that one of his neighbors has died from the same snake bite. Therefore, the farmer method of dealing was not uncommon due to lot of old and outdated information about how to treat snakebite.